Saturday, April 21, 2012

Parents Living With Mental Illness

Hello again,

I was having a hard time today trying to figure out a topic for this blog. I am running out of ideas so if you have one tell me and I will research it. But back to the blog and the story I was telling you. My beautiful fiance has been having a bad day today and I have been trying to get it out of her. Well anyways we were at a womans expo today for Nami and the Crisis line. We were there for like four hours so we came home and took a nap, I was hoping it would help her, but it didn't. I have been giving her the space she needed, but I was starting to feel like I did something wrong, so I asked her to come sit next to me and tell me what was going on, and at first she told me she did not know. Well I asked her again and she told me about a dream she had, and it was one where she was a bad mom, she is scared that she will not be a good mom when the time comes. I talk to her for a bit and told her when the time comes she will be a great mom, but that gave me an idea for my blog. After all I am a Parent with a mental illness. So here is my whole thing about this most of it is coming from the internet. I will put my two cents in, here and there. Hope it is informational. I will put in a couple of links for you to take a look at and hope it helps. Dustin P.

Having a mental illness and raising kids can be a very stressful situation. Sometimes when we are having one of out episodes, we do things we really shoudn't do like hit our kids. I have not done this as of yet and don't plan on it but, it still scares me knowing it could happen.

Depending on what you have been diagnosed with, is somewhat going to determin how you relate with your children, unfortunately some of them, you have a lack of emotion, or a loss of reality, living a reckless life style, some people cope with there mental illness with drugs and alcohol, now all this stuff affects our children, some in bad ways some in good. But most of the time badly if the parent is not getting help and learning to cope with there mental illness.

Growing up my parents excluding my real mom( my step dad and step mom) they are the ones that raised me or at least that is what they called it. They had a lot of issues and I don't know if they were ever diagnosed with anything but I know they did. They both had there issues and I was the one that got the blunt and of the stick. There actions and how they dealt with there issues was very poorly decided, what they did effected me in many ways, but the biggest is with my mental illnesses. They did not know how to cope and they hurt me in so many ways that by doing what they did helped bring forth my mental illnesses, not all there fault but a good part.( I know some people will argue the last statement, it is only my opinioin)

If you are a parent with a Mental illness you need to get help and learn how to cope with it. If you do not do it for you at least do it for your kids. They are our future lets give them the best chance we can. I also want all that is reading this to listen to me. Just because we live with a mental illness does not mean we are bad parent or that we are going to be bad parents. I have met some wonderful parents that have mental illnesses and I would want to learn from them.

Here are some links to some website to help you on your way to being a Good Parent with Mental Illnesses.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/family/2009/12/parents-with-mental-illness


www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Family-to-Family&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=4&ContentID=32973

These are only 2 there are many out there. You all can be good parents


NO MORE SECRETS
NO MORE STIGMA


DUSTIN P.

No comments:

Post a Comment